Friday, December 7, 2007

Week 13

The week of November 26 through the 30th I continued sending out permissions letters for resources that I have already gathered. It seems that the copyright holders either get back to you very quickly or take a long time to reply. One thing I have learned is the importance of sending the request for permissions to the correct individual (one with the authority to grant permission). We have talked about this a few times in passing during the Portal People meetings. I also sent out requests for information to some of the doctors who preform the procedure whose names I recognized from papers.

During Wednesdays Portal People meeting we discussed how we want the portals to look when they are part of the eGranary. Also discussed was how to catalog the resources that WiderNet has collected. The current method is to categorize the resources into categories and subcategories that seem random. On Thursday Sarah, Courtney and I talked about what changes should be made to this system. We decided it should be hierarchical and based on the Dewey online catalog. Categories should be based on the system WiderNet is already using but unnecessary categories will be weeded out and new categories will be added as needed. I think we are going to discuss this more at a future Portal People meeting.