Monday, November 12, 2007

Week 11

This week I continued to work on the letter to send to doctors requesting information on Ponseti method training to me. I was not able to catch Cliff before he left for a business trip and emailed it to him for suggestions on how to change the letter to be more effective. I then spent two days trying to track down email addresses for physicians trained in the Ponseti method and charity organizations that train doctors or other practitioners of the Ponseti method. I also continued looking for more resources and found some parents guides to the ponseti method of treating clubfoot that should be good. The Ponseti International organization posted Dr. Ponseti's green book on their website, I tried to download it but their website would not let me.

Friday I went to the Iowa SLA (Special Library Association) conference. There was a talk on libraries in Second Life. This talk was interesting and gave me some things to think about. The next talk was on the John Martin Rare Book Room at the Hardin Library. I really liked seeing what was in the collection of important medical books. The speaker brought in some of the books and let us look at them which was amazing to see these important books and be able to touch them (I did not touch them, I think this is because it was embedded into my mind that you don't touch old/valuable books without wearing gloves while working in the University of Utah Special Collection Department) had I wanted to and see them up close. I particularly liked the detailed woodcut illustrations of medical procedures that are funny in today's context but extremely important to the history of medicine.